Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The day

Tuesday August 12
So did you hear about that kid?  You know the kid.  His dog taught him to walk.  His first word was "outside" (sort of).  It was actually more like sigh, but it meant outside.  Now do you know who I'm talking about?  He was the kid who never did any high school sports but committed all his time to athletics.  
Did you hear what he did today?  He started the day in the Olympic semifinal in Water Canoe Slalom. there were twelve boats.   He finished 6th.  That's not on the surface as remarkable as medaling.  But let me tell you the story.  He made a mistake near the top of the course.  It wasn't a big mistake, but it was enough.  He wasn't perfect and expected to be out.  Only the top eight moved on to the final.  As we continued to watch one by one other guys made bigger mistakes until finally 4 of them were out, the most shocking of which was Tony who had won the gold at the previous two Olympics.  Benn advanced to the final in 8th position.   He advanced only because after his mistake he continued to hustle and salvaged the rest of the run.  On his second run he almost crushed the same move where he had errored previously, but this time he missed the other way.  Rather than quit he pushed harder.  He flipped one gate later, but rolled the boat back upright quickly and continued again.  The rest of his run was very good and well worth the continued effort.  Again we watched as the course took it's toll on others.  Simply because in Cathy's words, "He manned up." Benn moved up to sixth place,  It wasn't what he would have wished for.  
It might have been nearly as good.  It was a solid performance, a demonstration of character and mental training.  And guess what else.  It was sixth place in the freakin' Olympics for crying outloud.  HOW COOL IS THAT?
As Benn walked the course with Cathy between the semifinal and the final he looked up to the stands where he knew Davis and I were sitting.  Marsha wasn't sitting with us.  She was in a special section for Mom's who were so nervous as to be nearly drooling on themselves.  Addie was there to take care of her.  Benn saw that I was watching him walk and study the course.  Even though the distance was probably 100 yards, oh wait it was China, 100 meters, we made eye contact.  He stuck his hand up for a wave.  I waved back.  I thought to myself, "Benn if that moment was as emotional for you as it was for me, then put your doggone hand down and focus on the course.  We can get choked up later."  
I have always been impressed by Scotty P and by his Lauren.  That's not the same Lauren of previous mention who is Benn's Lauren.  Roommates on trips, teammates, skinny jean wearing hair dying, think somewhat alike Slalom racers seem to have Laurens in common among other things.  At any rate when I thought I could be no more impressed with Scotty P he showed up to today's race, just one day after a heart breaking day of his own, wearing a quickly made shirt that said, "I am onboard the Frake Train."  I didn't get to see it but I understand that Lauren wore, "Frake takes my cake."   
I have teased Marsha a lot through all this, and I fully intend to continue.  I have to say truthfully though that the difference between us is that I, though just as taken by this whole experience, hide it better.  Well that and I wasn't a deer in the headlights in the Pearl Market this morning, but that's another story about trying to bargain without a safety net and having to be rescued by the bargaining lfeguard.   
Tom

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a press release from USACK this morning that says Benn gets to hang out in China for a couple weeks. That's so great!

We had so much fun watching the action this morning, it didn't matter that it was 3:00 a.m.

Congratulations to Benn! Thanks for keeping us posted, Tom. I hope you guys get to hang around and have a little more fun, too.

Joan

Anonymous said...

We're all so proud of every member of the Fraker family...this has been an awesome quest for all of you. The blog is fabulous. Thanks for all the moments--big and small--of love, laughter, and glory.

Barbara Seaman said...

Tom,

How could I have forgotten what a wonderful writer you are?! If I'm not wiping away tears of laughter, I'm choked up by a huge lump in my throat. Thank you for including all of us in this thrilling time. This blog will be worth a fortune to you all when this is over.

Barbara

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Benn for outstanding racing. Who was that who said "i never quit, I just never quit"? I think it might be Benn now. Amazing things are happening for you, and I'm sure you are enjoying the heck out of it, since you are the one making it all happen! Great job, Benn!

Tom, thank you for the awesome blog. In the midst of having not any or delayed streaming video and little information on all the slalom goings on in Beijing over here on the right hand coast of the USA, (or at the bottom of the hole kids are digging in China), your writings are all we have have at times, and they rock!
Maybe Benn will revive his blog at some point, but he has a hard act to follow!

Davey
daveyhearn.com

Charl said...

OMG! WTG, BF! You rock! Can't wait till you guys can see the huge smile on Benn's face after each one of his runs. That was the best part for me!
Have fun in China. Relax! (...and remind Davis to find out about the fortune cookies!)
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Tom,
I got up at 3am to watch the race online & I don't wake up at 3am for just anybody! It was worth it! Benn did great!! I know you & Marsha are busting with pride, and deservedly so! Marsha should get a MOO tatoo!

Loving the blog - it's terrific! Enjoy the rest of your trip - you can stop holding your breath now!
Diane

Anonymous said...

NBC's alert text did not wake me up but it was the first thing I checked when I woke up. Congratulations to Benn. I was excited when my son went down the stairs by turning around first so I can't imagine what it feels like to be MOO.

Have fun in China and don't believe that everything taste like chicken.

Tina