Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday August 24th

People keep asking me if I'm over the trip yet. That's a big question. If it means am I over the time lag, well it's three oclock in the morning and I'm typing. If it means am I back on a normal daily routine, yes depending on how you define normal. If it means am I over going to China, for the Olympics, where my son was competing, and he did well, brace yourself for a shocking answer, no.
It's been a week since I last wrote anything and the same stuff is still happening. We still have Five Ring Fever although it is different now. Marsha is still MOO. We still don't hear any news from Benn, but our Secret Source still keeps up updated periodically. I guess, in a way, all of that is normal. In fact it's sort of mundane if having a globetrotting kid who sometimes reports in and sometimes doesn't can ever get mundane.
That is what surprises me about people continuing to ask when I'm going to post another blog. In fact a few have suggested that I should continue a blog just about stuff in general even beyond this Olympic experience we've had. Well I'm thinking about it. In the mean time this Olympic thing is almost done.
Benn comes home Monday night, tomorrow. No I don't know what he will do next. No I can't say whether or not he will keep paddling for another Olympics. No I don't know if he will go back to school or get a job. No I don't know how long he will stay home. No I don't know if he will stay in the Atlanta area or go back to Charlotte or even somewhere else. No I don't know if he will keep painting his nails.
I know what's happened over the past 19 years and the past 19 weeks and the past 19 days. I know that all of those periods were, as MOO says, action packed. I know I plan to try and keep up for another 19 years. I know that I will work hard on the "I" words between us; influence at times, intensity now and then, integrity in our relationship, and involvement always always always. I know he got the nail polish form MOO. I know that a certain Senior Vice President at Delta Air Lines used a marker to color his nails black (for a few minutes) when I returned to work. I know that Benn and I weren't the only ones who had fun with all of this. And last I know that I am finally getting sleepy again. Wonder what time it is now.
Tom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WE WANT PICTURES
WE WANT PICTUDES

Anonymous said...

Tom,

I've really enjoyed reading your posts on here. It's been a pleasure over the last six years to walk back up the course after my runs and watch Benn come down. Paddling, when done so well by a great athlete, is a thing of beauty.

Alden